WELCOME TO THE OLD DOCK RESTAURANT IN HISTORIC ESSEX
The OLD DOCK RESTAURANT is a seasonal restaurant and bar located in the Historic Hamlet
of Essex, New York. Guests arrive by automobile, private boat or on the Charlotte-Essex.
Come for
dinner or lunch from Memorial Day to Columbus Day.
Slips are available for our guests who arrive by boat. Passengers on the Charlotte-Essex ferry
have the option to leave their automobiles in the free parking lot at Charlotte and when they
arrive in Essex stroll a few feet to the Old Dock. Parking is available on site for those guests
who arrive by automobile.
Directions to the Old Dock
Lunch is served beginning at 11:30 a.m.Seven days a week.
Dinner is served from 5:00 p.m. to  9:00 p.m. Seven days a week.
The bar is open until midnight.
The Old Dock was built in 1810 as a wharf for Lake Champlain boat traffic. Finished goods and
supplies were delivered from Albany and New York City. Blue granite quarried in Willsboro
was loaded on canal boats for delivery to the construction site of the Brooklyn Bridge. When the
railroad arrived in 1858 boat traffic declined. From 1920 to the 1950's the Old Dock was the
port of call for tour boats including the Ticonderoga now berthed in the Shelbourne Museum at
Shelbourne, Vermont.
In the early 1930's the Old Dock was opened as a tea room and from the early 1960's to 1984
Black Bart Baily served fine food and strong grog to select customers. In 1985 Joanne and Jack
Halpin and their son Robin Hill restored the Dock House Restaurant and added boat slips. The
Old Dock Restaurant has been operated by Steve McKenna since 2006.
Photos Old Dock
SITE UNDER  CONSTRUCTION